First Global Conference on Disability and Islam – August 18, 2020
DEEN Support Service is pleased to host its first annual Global Conference on Disability and Islam.
Registration is now open, and we invite you to join us for the FREE conference!
CLICK HERE to register today!
This year’s theme: Towards understanding disability in Islam.
What is it About?
The Islamic tradition is clear on the rights of persons with disabilities in society. However, this tradition remains misunderstood and under-studied, resulting in misconceptions about disability within Muslim communities.
The goal of this conference is to advance our understandings of Islam and disability, the needs of Muslims with disabilities within an Islamic context, and the responsibilities of Muslim communities to support individuals with disabilities.
Topics to be addressed in this year’s conference panels include:
- Jurisprudence: Islamic Law, Religious Practice, and Disability
- Accessibility: The Path to Inclusion & Environmental Social Justice
- Disability Awareness and Strategies for Inclusion
- Deaf Awareness
- Families: Emotional Wellness and Living With a Disability
- Access to Spiritual Education and Practice
- Marriage: Our Right to Complete Half Our Deen
- Charity and Philanthropy: Meeting the Basic Needs of Muslims with Disabilities
experience of disability, and disability advocates to explore opportunities and challenges for Muslims with disabilities in both Muslim majority and minority context.
All those who are interested in hearing diverse perspectives on issues related to disability & Islam are welcome to attend.
For this year’s program booklet, which includes the full schedule and speaker bios, please click here: GDIC Program Booklet 2020
Join the GCDI Global Network
One of the key outcomes of this year’s conference was the launch of DEEN’s Global Network on Disability and Islam, which aims to bring together service providers, academics, researchers, Islamic scholars, individuals with lived experience of disability, and disability advocates. The goal of this network is to continue dialogues initiated at the conference and provide opportunities for global learning and peer-support.
To join the global network, CLICK HERE
We are honoured to host Dr. Mohamed Ghaly and Dr. Ingrid Mattson as our keynote speakers.
- July 18 2020 Abstract Submission Deadline
- July 22, 2020 Notification of Acceptance/Rejection
- August 5, 2020 Final Paper Submission
- August 18, 2020 Conference Date
- The first issue of DEEN’s annual Journal on Disability and Islam. All submitted papers will be considered for publication. Paper selection for the journal will be based upon peer review and conference presentation.
- Launch of DEEN’s Global Network on Disability and Islam that will bring together service providers, academics, researchers, Islamic scholars, individuals with lived experience of disability, and disability advocates. The goal of this network is to continue dialogues initiated at the conference and provide opportunities for global learning and peer-support.
- To join the global network, CLICK HERE
GDIC 2020 Media Coverage:
- Global Conference on Disability and Islam to Take Place Virtually – by AboutIslam.net
- First Global Conference on Disability and Islam: Interview With Disability Activist Rafia-Haniff Cleofas – by MuslimLink.ca
- Disability and Islam – Interview with DEEN CEO Rabia Khedr – by the Pulse on AMI-audio (via Apple Podcasts)
- Rabia Khedr ([email protected] | (905) 270-9679)
- Rafia Haniff-Cleofas: ( [email protected] | (647) 836-3461)
We are honoured to have the support of the following organizations: