First Global Conference on Disability and Islam – August 18, 2020
DEEN Support Service is pleased to host its first annual global conference on disability and Islam. Call for Abstracts now open! Please see below for more information.
This year’s theme: Towards understanding disability in Islam.
- July 18 2020 Abstract Submission Deadline
- July 22, 2020 Notification of Acceptance/Rejection
- August 5, 2020 Final Paper Submission
- August 18, 2020 Conference Date
- REGISTER HERE TO ATTEND (You can attend just to watch, no need to have submitted research!)
Call for Abstracts
Abstracts are invited for papers, lectures, posters and presentations related to the conference theme. The main theme of the conference is Towards understanding disability in Islam.
The Islamic tradition is clear on the rights of persons with disabilities in society. However, this tradition remains misunderstood and under-studied, resulting in misconceptions about disability within Muslim communities. This virtual, multi-disciplinary conference brings together the work of service providers, academics, Islamic scholars, individuals with lived experience of disability, and disability advocates to explore opportunities and challenges for Muslims with disabilities in both Muslim majority and minority contexts.
- The first issue of DEEN’s annual Journal on Disability and Islam. All submitted papers will be considered for publication. Paper selection for the journal will be based upon peer review and conference presentation.
- Launch of DEEN’s Global Network on Disability and Islam that will bring together service providers, academics, researchers, Islamic scholars, individuals with lived experience of disability, and disability advocates. The goal of this network is to continue dialogues initiated at the conference and provide opportunities for global learning and peer-support.
We are honoured to have the support of the following organizations: